Destination Weddings have gained much prominence in today’s world with couples shunning the traditional way for No-rush quality weddings at far off picturesque vacation spots, and locales. With a humorous definition of getting married at least 100 miles from where the bride currently lives, the world is your playground. From extravagant affairs to reasonably affordable options, from palaces and forts to beach, and lakefront resorts, there ain’t no dearth of destinations to suit everyone’s taste. Yet, when i speak to couples about destinations they want to get married, the answers I often get as a planner is usually places like – Goa, Jaipur, Udaipur, South-East Asian nations, etc. This might be due to the misconception that the rest of the world is either too expensive or inaccessible. Let me introduce you to some present day blooming destinations in India to tie the knot from North to South!
Why Go ? – A small town in Madhya Pradesh, Orchha is sure to leave you spellbound. Take a break from the maddening city routines and enjoy your wedding near 16th & 17th century palaces! Orchha is the perfect combination of natural surroundings and aesthetic legacy of awe inspiring history.
Venues – There are a few good hotel options to choose from i.e, Raj Mahal, Amar Palace & Orchha Resort.
- By Air – Gwalior is the nearest airport to Orchha. There are daily flights from both Mumbai & Delhi. Distance from the airport to Orchha is around 160km translating to around 1.5hr by road.
- By Rail – Jhansi is the closest Railway station and the distance between Orchha and Jhansi is just 18km.
- By Road – Orchha is well connected by road from Delhi & Agra.
Why Go ? – How special and romantic it would be to say “I Do” in a place where resides the Symbol of Love, Taj Mahal. For an opulent wedding, Agra is just the right place. The Moghul designed city will provide you with proof of their continuing legacy.
Venues – Suggested venue are Jaypee Palace Hotel, The Oberoi Amar Villas and The Trident. All are real good options. Pssssssst! Here is a little secret for our readers – there is a private garden overlooking the Taj Mahal which is available on rent for weddings. So, do your research or hire a planner to do that for you.
- By Air – Kheria is the nearest airport to the hotels mentioned. Distance from the airport to Hotels are around 12 to 15km.
- By Rail – Agra Cantt is the closest Railway station and the distance to Agra is just 15 to 20km.
- By Road – The National Highway-2 that connects Delhi to Agra is the best route for people who want to drive from Delhi. Time taken will be approx 4 hours.
Why Go ? – The Erstwhile Summer capital of British India is a perfect getaway for your summer wedding. Magnificently wrapped in dense forest, ever present fog, quaint and colourful cottages, the location has attractive hotels and resorts. Getting here can be a bit tricky but we promise that it will be worth it.
Venues – Venues including The Oberoi Cecil, The Shilon Resort and The Radisson Jass, which are breathtakingly beautiful for your perfect day.
- By Air – Jubharbatti is the nearest airport but has limited number of flights. It is located 22 km away from Shimla. Else, Chandigarh is the best option to get there with ample flights followed by a beautiful road journey snaking 2 hours to Shimla.
- By Rail – Fast trains are available from Delhi to Chandigarh & Kalka. From Kalka station, one can take the pleasure of toy train as well as can hire private cabs to explore the beauty of this city.
- By Road – Shimla is well connected with the cities like Chandigarh, Delhi, Dehradun and Kalka.
Why Go ? – Want a Beach wedding, think beyond Goa as Andaman leaves it way behind in this game. Known for its pristine beaches, untamed flora and fauna, it is a welcome retreat away from the overcrowded beaches of mainland India. Islands like Havelock, Jolly buoy, Viper, Cinque are serene hot spots that will blow your mind away. Even though this destination was treated more of a honeymoon spot, it has lately become a great hit destination wedding spot because of the calm and picturesque surroundings. Also your guests can enjoy the breath-taking water sports, snorkeling, speed boating, etc.
Venues – Places worth the stay are Munjoh Ocean Resort, Barefoot at Havelock apart from many others with decent packages.
- By Air – Veer Savarkar airport at Port Blair is the best way to Andaman. There are frequent flights from Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai.
- By Sea – Ships are cheaper but not practical as they offer no luxuries and take around 3 to 4 days to reach Andaman.
Why Go ? – Well, good news for people from Maharashtra and around who want to have Palace weddings but would prefer someplace serene nearby.
Venues– Fort Jadhavgadh is a perfect destination not far from home for your big day. Located just 22 kilometre from Pune, Fort Jadhavgadh resort is a great destination for a Royal wedding. Another location that we adore is The Corinthians Resort for your perfect weddings.
When considering Pune we would also suggest you to have a good look at Lavasa. It’s a private, planned city near Pune. Beautifully designed, based on the Italian town Portofino. Venues like the Waterfront Shaw & Fortune Select Dasve are an amazing site for weddings.
- By Air – The Lohegaon airport is at a distance of 34km translating to approx an hour drive and The Corinthians Resort is around 20km more. There are frequent flights from all major airports in India.
- By Road – It is well connected to every major city and town in South India. It takes 3 hour of pleasant drive via Mumbai-Pune Expressway from Mumbai.
- By Rail – Pune Railway station is the closest Railway station and is at a distance of a 5km from the city.
Why Go ? – With the recent Arpita Khan Bollywood wedding, suddenly Hyderabad is on everybody’s wish list and for obvious reasons. The City of Pearls, of Smiles, of Nawabs, of Lights, of a thousand Faces, boasts of rich history and traditions.
Venues – Taj Falaknuma would be a dream, we know. Let’s just leave it at that. Moving on, most of us have heard of Ramoji film city as an amusement place, but trust us its an amazing option if you looking for a grand wedding. With various venues and sets like The Limelight, The Mughal gardens and also customized locations available at the venue with built-in Hotels where you can put up your guests. And if you still looking for a hotel/resort wedding, Golkonda resort and Spa is worth considering with a beautiful mini amphitheatre by the pool and huge lawns which can accommodate more than 1000pax and is totally worth it.
- By Air – Rajiv Gandhi International airport is the closest distance between Ramoji Film city & airport is 40kms an approx 1 hour drive & The Golkonda resort and spa is around 29kms approx 45mins drive
- By Rail – Begumpet is the nearest railway station.Ramoji film city is a good 3hrs drive from there and the Golkonda resort is around 2kms, approx 50mins.
Why Go ? – Its the Abode of clouds, its beauty cannot be expressed in words but only experienced. The weather is amazing & if you are a nature lover this could be your safest bet.
Venues – Shillong has many beautiful places to stay. The Pinewood Hotel is one of the oldest in Shillong & the location of the hotel makes it one of the chief First Class Hotels in Shillong. Also Check ‘Ri Kynjai’ located on the banks of the Umiam Lake which offers a breath-taking view of the lake. No wonder Shillong was called the ‘Scotland of the East’.
- By Air – Umroi airport & Guwahati are the airports closest to Shillong. The distance between The Pinewood Hotel is 30 km from Umroi Airfield and 128 km from Guwahati Airport while Ri Kynjai is 16km from Umroi airport and 98 km from Guwahati airport.
- By Rail – Pinewood Hotel is around 84 km from Guwahati Railway Station. Meghalaya is not directly connected by rail, you can reach Guwahati via train and take a bus or taxi from Guwahati Railway Station (105 km from Shillong).
Why Go ? – Located in Ajmer, Rajasthan, it is one of the oldest cities in India. Pushkar heads the religious itinerary and is called “Tirthraj” meaning king of all religious places. It lies on the shore of Pushkar lake. This place is virgin territory for beautiful and traditional weddings.
Venues – Pushkar has a lot of history to it, with beautiful palaces and gardens. Aaram Baagh Pushkar is situated in the foothills of the Aravali hills. Its scenic view changes every hour from dawn to dusk and the wonderful clear celestial starry night makes making it a breath-taking canvas for traditional weddings. The Bhanwar Singh Palace is another mind blowing property, a perfect destination for a royal Palace wedding sure to blow your mind.
- By Air – Nearest airport from Pushkar is Sanganer airport at Jaipur. Aram Baagh is 4 hours translating to approx 168 km from the airport. The Bhanwar Singh palace and The Pushkar Baugh are both approx 3 hour in time taken and 152 km in distance.
- By Rail – Ajmer is about 11 km away from Pushkar, ideally connected by rail from Delhi and Mumbai.
That’s all Folks, Go get weddy in these destinations. Also don’t forget to share with us a few other destinations you would have in mind.